- Entity: MAPFRE
MAPFRE has adopted the Women's Empowerment Principles established by UN Women, the UN organization dedicated to promoting gender equality and women's empowerment. Antonio Huertas states that this initiative, which is part of MAPFRE's Diversity Strategy 2019–2021, "is a new milestone in our firm commitment to equality, and reflects the spirit of MAPFRE as a diverse and inclusive company."
MAPFRE's Chairman and CEO adds that "adopting the Women's Empowerment Principles will help us further boost all of our female talent and continue to drive initiatives aimed at women's advancement in the company and the elimination of gender gaps."
The Women's Empowerment Principles, developed by the United Nations Global Compact, are as follows:
· Principle 1: Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
· Principle 2: Treat all women and men fairly at work: respecting and supporting human rights and avoiding discrimination.
· Principle 3: Ensure the health, well-being and safety of all workers, regardless of gender.
· Principle 4: Promote women's education, training and professional development.
· Principle 5: Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women.
· Principle 6: Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
· Principle 7: Measure and report publically on progress toward achieving gender equality.
MAPFRE's adoption of the Women's Empowerment Principles is viewed positively in various sustainability indices, and highlights the company's positioning in this area, in particular regarding the public commitments it has undertaken.
Currently, a total of 3,139 companies worldwide have adopted the Principles. MAPFRE has adopted the Principles at a local level in Turkey and Brazil.
Through its Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, MAPFRE aims to build a culture of respect for people, consolidate favourable behaviours and promote an openness to diversity.
For more information on UN Women and the Women's Empowerment Principles, visit https://www.weps.org