We recommend to the policyholder, in order to receive benefits of all the guarantees of the policy, to consider some relevant aspects before and after contracting the policy:
- As soon as you become aware of an event or motive that may lead to a claim, you or your legal representatives must inform us as soon as possible, and provide us at your own expense with all the information and help we need.
- You must communicate immediately about any loss relating to your pet to the police or the local council, and do all you can to recover your pet or minimize the loss.
- You have to forward to us immediately and unanswered any writ, summons or other legal documents served on you or your family, in connection with any claim or legal liability derived from ownership of your pet;
- You cannot discuss, admit, reject or negotiate on any claim with anyone else without our written consent. We may take control and carry, completely and exclusively, the defence or settlement of any claim in your name.
- We may, for our own benefit, start legal action in your name to recover compensation from others in respect of any amount paid or payable under this policy.
- Once we have made the payment of a claim, we will have no further liability for it.
- Where fraud (including exaggeration) is detected, claims will not be covered and we may refer it to the police for criminal prosecution. The policy may be declared as invalid, and we may also take other actions consistent with our legal rights.
- You may cancel this policy at any time during its term. Any refund of premium will be worked out from the date we receive your cancellation order. We will return part of the premium calculated on our cancellation rates for the unexpired period of insurance, provided no claim has been made in the current term of insurance.
- If we disagree about the amount to be paid under this policy (liability being then admitted), you and we have the right to refer to arbitration. We will inform you of this option and you must then write and tell us if you want to proceed. An arbitrator will be appointed. The apportionment of the sums and expenses of the arbitration will be determined by the arbitrator. The making of an award is a condition precedent to any right of action against us. Using the arbitration procedure does not preclude you from appealing against the arbitrator’s decision in a court of law.